Canadian Blood Services needs your help!
Have you made your appointment to donate blood yet? What are you waiting for? Head over to www.blood.ca and register to donate this week. If you go in today until December 8th, you’ll be rewarded for your good deed with some delicious pizza. We spoke with Amy Gravelle, Event Coordinator at Canadian Blood Services, to find out what you need to know before you donate!
Wondering if you’re eligible?
- Donors must be a minimum of 17 years of age
- Donors between the age of 17-23 must meet the height and weight requirements.
- Donors over the age of 23 must weight a minimum of 110 pounds.
- Donors must be feeling healthy on the day of their donation and successfully pass the screening process.
Common reasons for deferral: getting a tattoo or piercing within the last 6 months, travelling outside of Canada or the U.S. within the last year (applies to certain locations), taking certain prescription medications, feeling sick, etc.
Ways to check your eligibility:
- Take the eligibility quiz.
- For more detail, check the ABC’s of eligibility.
- Check out the donor questions you’ll be asked here.
How does the actual donation process work?
The actual blood donation takes 4-10 minutes (we collect 450 ml), and the whole appointment takes about an hour. After your donate, most people feel absolutely fine – in fact, you’re likely to feel pretty good about yourself! Even if you feel great, it’s important that you look after yourself for the rest of the day and drink plenty of fluids. You’ll also want to avoid strenuous activity for 6 to 8 hours following donating.
How do I prepare for my appointment?
- Make sure to bring valid ID.
- Drink lots of water before your appointment.
- Have plenty to eat before donating.
- Get a good night’s sleep before your donation.
- Rebook your next appointment!
- Males can donate blood every 56 days
- Females age 23 and over can donate every 84 days
- Females age 17 to 23 can donate every 112 days (suggested-can donate after 84 days)
To find out more, check out www.blood.ca and watch this video:
January 08, 2018
November 17, 2017
October 24, 2017