Winter Breakfast Bowl
Hey all you herbivores! I have put together one of my many famous Vegan/ Gluten Free Breakfast Bowls that I pretty much eat every morning. If you’re like me you know that being plant based/vegan/celiac you have to make sure that you’re getting all of your protein, & carbs – which is actually a lot easier to do than you think! Tons of veggies are packed with the necessary and PROPER protein, minerals and vitamins your body needs to strive, survive and replenish itself with to stay healthy. Carnivores and Omnivores don’t shy away from this article because I promise you’re going to like this tasty dish too!
What you’re going to need: Makes 3 Servings (If possible always buy organic produce!)
- 8oz of tofu (I suggest Sol Cuisine Artisan Extra Firm Organic Tofu)
- Handful of mini rouge potato’s or ½ of a sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped winter squash
- ½ cup chopped leek
- 2 handful’s of spinach
- 2 leafs of organic kale
- 1 handful of arugula
- ½ cup of chickpeas
- ¼ cup pinto beans
- ¼ cup organic frozen corn
- 1tblsp coconut oil
- ½ to 1tsp of turmeric
- 1tsp of parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1tsp Veganaise mayonnaise
Directions: here we go!
- Grab a cutting board, chopping knife and a medium-large frying pan.
- Prep all of your fresh veggies by properly rinsing them, this includes your chickpeas and beans as well.
- Now grab those mini potatoes, or half sweet potato (or half and half of each) & winter squash. Start chopping that up into cubes.
- Once that is complete, add just enough water into your frying pan to cover the bottom of it. Then your tablespoon of Coconut Oil.
- Place on an element and turn it onto medium-high. Add your potatoes & squash, cover and to bring to a boil. This will also steam the potatoes/squash taking less time to cook.
- Time to slice up that leek! Chop it as if it were a cucumber so that you get the full round circles.
- Check/stir the potatoes/squash, and if the water is boiling turn it down to a medium temperature and add your leeks. Stir & cover.
- While that is cooking together, grab your tofu, chickpeas, frozen corn and pinto beans. Dice up your tofu and throw everything all together into a small mixing bowl. Mix.
- Make sure you’re keeping an eye on what’s cooking. Mixing occasionally.
- Grab your greens. Kale, spinach and arugula to prep. Then chop up your leafs of kale, grab your handful’s of spinach/arugula and throw into a medium sized mixing bowl. Toss together.
- Once your potatoes & squash are cooked and are beginning to crisp, throw in the bowl of tofu/chickpeas/frozen corn/pinto beans. Mix occasionally and cover for approximately 5 minutes.
- After your 5mins are up turn element to LOW and toss your leafy greens in. Before mixing together let the greens stay on top of everything, cover and let stand/steam for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn element OFF and mix all together. Cover and let stand for another 3 minutes.
- After that, it’s time to add in the turmeric and parsley. Mix to make sure it is evenly spread out in the dish.
- Scooped desired amount into serving bowl, top with a teaspoon of Veganaise Mayo + salt & pepper and a little more parsley or turmeric if you would like, and VOILA!
There is your full, protein packed, winter breakfast bowl that you’re not going to want to stop eating! I suggest also having half of a grapefruit on the side with a drizzle of maple syrup to get your Vitamin C boost that is ever so needed this harsh season.
Now like I said at the beginning this is only ONE of my famous breakfast bowls. The great thing is, you can be creative with these! Find what tastes complement each other and add or take away any ingredients that you would like! Personally I think that you should give this whole recipe a whirl because it involves the best winter produce to make sure your getting the most nutrients possible this season. Try it out and let me know what you think!
xxo Cora Gillespie Hardcore Herbivore
October 12, 2017
June 27, 2017
April 08, 2017